Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chain

Tron: Evolution Preview

• Administrators

Tron: Evolution Preview

We give Tron's Light Cycle a spin in our look at the game that fills in the gap between the 1982 original film and the upcoming sequel.

What we're talking about: Tron: Evolution is an action-platformer set between the original movie and the upcoming sequel Tron: Legacy.

Where we saw it: At the Tron booth on the PAX 2010 show floor.

216410-1.jpg?rand=13755A37-B252-C620-20D7AA81C22393A5

What you need to know:

•Tron: Evolution bridges the story gap between the original Tron movie and the upcoming sequel, Tron: Legacy.

•Developed by Propaganda Games, Tron: Evolution is one of two of the studio's current projects (the other is Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned).

•Disney made all Tron assets from their vault available to Propaganda to ensure that the game would deliver an authentic experience for fans.

•Evolution is coming for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. I played the Xbox 360 version.

•Light Cycle levels appear throughout the game. I gave one a try, a chase scene with light tanks and plenty of explosions. Maneuvering through debris, enemy Light Cycles, and tank blasts was challenging -- although this was mostly because of the controls. Light Cycle controls, while manageable, could be more responsive. Steering feels more like an arcade racer, which fits the Tron setting.

•The game sports a very handy checkpoint system. I appreciated this, as elements such as the noisy show floor and my close proximity to the TV led to me dying many times.

•Combat revolves around using Tron's iconic light disc. Basic attacks include throws and melee strikes involving the disc, but the shoulder buttons active blocking and dashing -- both of which modify the basic attacks for counters and aerial attacks.

•Platforming is fairly straightforward: Just hold the left trigger to wall run, press A to jump, and B to grapple and swing from objects.

•The art design looks just like the upcoming Tron: Legacy film, although it can lead to some disorientating moments when the camera is whipping around during combat or Light Cycle chases.

Point in development cycle: Tron: Evolution comes out in November, just in time for the Tron: Legacy movie.

My take: The Disney authenticity and light disc combat will probably be enough for Tron fans to consider purchasing Evolution. The Light Cycle level suffers from some stiff controls, but as the game isn't completely finished, Propaganda has time to make improvements. Given their incredible speed – something that Propaganda's captured very well -- it's important for the Light Cycles to feel responsive. My only other sticking point lies with Evolution while in motion. The visual complexity of Tron makes for some undeniably stunning level design, but some of the current character animations are stealing the wind from Evolution's graphical sails. Complex vistas and highly detailed modeling seem to have won out in favor of a smoother moving world. Granted, this is also another issue of the game needing some more developer attention, and I hope that by review time Tron: Evolution gets the love it needs to hoist it above the rank-and-file of most movie video games.