Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chain

urlmagic

• Administrators

Description

Does following magic things with URLs:

• Follows links posted in a channel if the udef flag +urlmagic is set
  • If content-type ~ text/html and <title>content exists</title> display title
  • Otherwise, display content-type
  • If url length > threshold, fetch and display tinyurl

Optional features

Plugins exist for

• Optionally recording all URLs to your Twitter page or an SQLite database
  • Flagging links as NSFW if it was mentioned in the text next to the link
  • Displaying the size of a page
  • Displaying the final destination URL in case there was a redirect

In short, what's displayed and what isn't can be influenced by plugins.

This script needs at least the following packages: http, tls and tcllib (for hook) It is advised to also install the gumbo library for more failsafe HTML parsing. Your eggdrop needs to be compiled against Tcl 8.5 or higher.

Dependencies

Use your distribution's package management system to install the dependencies as appropriate.

For optional dependencies introduced by specific plugins, check the directory of the plugin you want to use for a file called README.

As of 2017-10-25 the HTTP implementation used by urlmagic has been changed to TclCurl, which simplifies the code and is more robust. You now need to install tclcurl instead of tcltls for urlmagic to work - distributions which don't have a tclcurl package (RedHat, Gentoo, FreeBSD) have been stripped from the examples. Please (make someone) package it and notify me.

Examples:

Debian / Ubuntu:

• apt-get install git (optional; makes updating easier)
  • apt-get install tcllib tclcurl (no matter what plugins are enabled; "core")
  • apt-get install libsqlite3-tcl (if sqlite plugin is enabled)

On Debian stretch and above, there is a package for the gumbo title parser:

• apt-get install libgumbo-dev build-essential (optional, possible title parser)

OpenSuSE:

• zypper install git (optional)
  • zypper install tcllib tclcurl (core)
  • (sqlite plugin does not require extra packages to be installed)

NetBSD (pkgsrc package names):

• devel/git (optional)
  • devel/tcllib wip/tcl-curl (core)
  • databases/sqlite3 (sqlite)

Title parsers

The "dumb" regex-based title extraction regexp is not very reliable. Therefore, there are multiple options for extracting the title out of the HTML documents downloaded from the server. The most reliable option is using Google's gumbo library, however it isn't packaged for any distributions I've checked (and neither is the much less robust arabica library, which has been around for several years longer). To avoid making each potential user compile their own gumbo version, I've written a title parser in perl that is invoked via pipe, because html5 parsers for perl are more easily available than for Tcl or C.

On OpenSuSE, you can find a repository/package for Perl's html5 parser here:

Alternatively, you can install the perl packages from cpan (for instance if you're not on debian and your distribution doesn't have a package). The command is:

• cpan HTML::HTML5::Parser

Problems

See the file TROUBLESHOOTING.

Please report bugs, gripes, missing operating systems in the table above, etc to ente on IRCnet, and feel free to let me know if you use it, or just contact me for chit-chat.

This repository used to live on bitbucket, but it has since moved to github. See https://bitbucket.org/wilhelmy/eggdrop-urlmagic/issues/ for the issue tracker.

Written by rojo and ente

eggdrop-urlmagic-master.zip