Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chain

Unofficial Skyrim App Gets Legal Warning from Bethesda

• Administrators

Bethesda and

went to war with Minecraft developer Mojang over the indie company’s new IP Scrolls. Bethesda/ZeniMax felt that the Scrolls name was far too similar to the and would cause consumer confusion. The entire affair was finally settled when Mojang was allowed to use the Scrolls name for solely that game and Bethesda/ZeniMax won the licensing rights to Scrolls.

Now, Bethesda/ZeniMax has sent Blalock, the developer of the free Skyrim-based iPhone app called “Dragon Shout”, a copyright infringement notice. However, the notice apparently didn’t explain how the app was violating copyright law.

Blalock expressed confusion over the matter as, "I did my best to ensure the app was not violating anything. I looked up US trademarks and copyrights for 'Dragon Shout' and at the time there wasn't any. I had the map hand drawn. I intentionally didn't use any graphics or wording that would possibly be owned by Bethesda. So, I'm still not sure what they say the app violates."

The copyright infringement letter didn’t come with a cease-and-desist notice. The app has yet to be removed from the iTunes App Store, so if you’re curious to see what all the hullabaloo is about or you want to download it in support of Blalock over the issue as others have already done, you can download it

here.